Monday, July 21, 2008

Shabbat and the beginning of Ulpan

So as I get busier and busier I find less and less time to write on the blog consistently. I'm assuming it's only going to get worse, but I will do my best to catch up now. I'll start with Shabbat.

Friday was once again cleaning day! This time Amy attacked the kitchen (stove, refrigerator, counter tops) and I attacked the bathroom (scrubbing the sink, shower, and yes, the toilet!). It was absolutely exhausting but entirely worth it. The apartment is not quite as smelly as before and it really feels very nice to live in such a clean space. Amy keeps me on track with cleanliness. It's a good thing. With no time for a nap, I quickly got showered, dressed and went for Shabbat at school. This week it was mandatory to go to HUC because we're still in the orientation time period. First we had a study session with Rabbi Nahma Kellman. We looked specifically at the times Shabbat is mentioned in the Torah (there are 6 to be exact). We looked at each of the passages with our chevruta and discussed. I enjoyed it immensely. Afterwards, services were led by the interns. After them helping us so much over the past two weeks with getting to know the city, helping with internet problems, helping us settle in, it was really nice to see them leading services as well. There were a bunch of Carlebach tunes used which immediately brought me back to BUCO services at Brandeis. The tunes are just so much fun! It was a beautiful service. I love Kabbalat Shabbat! Following services dinner was provided and then a song session! Ari, Harrison, Meredith (all rabbinical students), and I led the song session. Ari, Harrison, and Meredith all have lots of song leading experience --mostly at overnight camp. Leading song sessions in a geriatric center is very different I have found. However, I was able to mostly keep up with them. A few more song sessions with them and I'll be a natural! I went home and ended up crashing really early. It was a fun, but exhausting beginning to Shabbat.

Saturday morning we were back at HUC. Cantor Tamar Havilio and Rabbi Michael Marmur led the services. Rabbi Marmur is an amazing service leader. I can not wait to learn from him! He very much knows how to do public speaking. He was incredibly engaging the entire time. After services I went home for lunch and then took a lovely Shabbat nap. Yum! Seudat Shlishit this week was hosted by Lauren and her roommate Jacklyn at their apartment. They have a nice area in their backyard. Lauren made chili (with a big kick!) and the rest of the food was potluck. I know I've only been here for 2 and half weeks, but I'm finding that it's one of my favorite times of the week. After dessert, we all said havdallah together. It's really pretty special being in a circle with your friends who you also know will be future leaders of the Jewish community.

Sunday is the beginning of the work week in Israel (we have off on Friday and Saturday from school). Therefore, Sunday began our ulpan studies! My first class was fantastic. I love my ulpan teacher. I think that I will learn a lot from her. I also find that I really enjoy being in class. I understand the majority of what is being said and can keep up with the grammar. Honestly, most of it is a review for me at this point. However, I get the feeling that we will be moving quickly and I will be generally happy in the class. My teacher, Hannah, is very funny as well. It will at the very least be an amusing summer.

In about 5 minutes I have my first High Holy day choir practice and I can't wait! My next general goal is to get out and start meeting more Israelis. I need to use my Hebrew. More soon!

Love,
Sarah

1 comment:

Allie Shapiro said...

Wow, it sounds like you are making an incredibly smooth transition into Israeli life. I hope my transition is just as smooth, and I want you to go meet some Israelis, they'll show you the cool non-touristy things to do, and you'll have a lot of fun. Well I'm off to South Carolina, but I'll be back in a week. Much Love, MWAH
Allie