Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My first day in Israel

I arrived! The plane ride to Israel was nice. I got to sleep a little which was really good (I hadn't on the first flight). I was afraid that I would miss Lauren at the airport because we arrived about 45 minutes late, but as I waited in line to go through passport inspection, Lauren showed up! It was wonderful. After some navigation, we got our heavy bags and found the van (sherut) to get to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv.

I got to my apartment and Rivka (the landlord) showed me aournd. She is very sweet. It hink she will be a great landlord. The apartment is wonderful. My bedroom has agreat view and a wonderful breeze. It's a good size. I made myself oatmeal and tea for "dinner," turned on the TV and managed to find Gilmore Girls and then ER on the Hallmark channel. Welcome to Israel! It was fun watching with the Hebrew subtitles. I put sheets on my bed and decided to take a shower (cold). I crawled into bed around 10 and fell asleep.

Friday I woke up, got dressed, unpacked a little and then left for HUC. It was incredibly easy to find and is maybe a 10 minute walk. It will be incredibly easy getting to class once school starts. I had planned to meet Lauren (fellow cantorial student) @ 10:30, but I later found out that she overslept. As I was waiting Rabbi Sisenwine walked by(Rabbi at TBE in Wellesley)! It was crazy and so exciting! We chatted for a little while - just enough to make me homesick. I'll see him again throughout the weekend and probably Cantor Sufrin as well.

I went home and continued to unpack my suitcase. It took me maybe an hour. My room looks more "lived in" now which is nice. It just lacks personality. I'll have to figure that out later. After I little while I decided I was hungry, so I left the apartment to find food.

I ended up going to a little cafe called "Little Italy." I sat down, opened the menu, and realized everything was in Hebrew. Oh my. I found a salad section and found a salad where I could recognize mostly all the ingredients (I saw it included cheese, so I knew I had to be safe). The waiter came and I managed to order in Hebrew! I was so proud of myself. The salad ended up having tomato, onion, cilantro (yum!), and fried cheese. Delicious! I took a little less than half home. I had tea with mint for dessert. I left feeling totally elated and in control. It's maybe the first time so far that I though --I can do this! Next up...Shabbat!

No comments: