Friday, October 10, 2008

Yom Kippur aka "The biking holiday"

In the days leading up to Yom Kippur, my professors would tell us about how unique Yom Kippur is on the holidays. Everyone either goes to synagogue or stays home. Even secular Jews fast on Yom Kippur- a pretty unbelievable thought coming from the states. They told us that no one drives on Yom Kippur...the streets are carless. Because of this, kids have a chance one day a year to go and bike in the middle of the street without fear of getting killed by crazy Israeli drivers (you thought Boston was bad??? You have seen nothing till you meet and Israeli driver). I couldn't wrap my head around this concept. It just doesn't happen in the states unless there's a blizzard.

Despite my doubts, I walked out of synagogue on Kol Nidrei and found that there was NO ONE on the road. We went outside and found that we could walk in the middle of the street. So what did we decide to do? Go for a walk! We walked down a street that is normally incredibly busy. Jews seemed to keep emerging from the woodwork to go outside and see their friends. You would think that there was a fair outside or someone was giving away free chocolate based on the amounts of people outside, but it's just the tradition in Jersualem. People go outside and find their friends and atone. So why is it called the "biking holiday"? Because all the kids are outside on their bikes! I think I maybe saw 2 cars during the entirety of YK. If you ever get the change to travel to Israel on Yom Kippur, I'd say definitely take the opportunity. It's a wonderful experience.

My actual Yom Kippur experience was rather difficult this year. Something about the fast was harder than usual. Perhaps because I was singing a little more than usual or I was nervous or simply the different Israeli climate. However, in the long day of services I had a chance to sit and think. The choir was placed in the synagogue in such a way that we were facing the entire congregagation which meant that I was able to sit and watch my new friends the entire time. It was so comforting to see their faces and realize that in the short time that I have known them, I have made some truly wonderful friends. There was also an obvious absence for me of friends and family from home that I miss with all my heart. To the old and to the new, I apologize if I have hurt you at all in the past year.

The other exciting part of my week, (what? there's more, you ask? You had time to do more between RH and YK?) was that I led the first student led services at HUC this past Monday! I, along with two student rabbis, bravely decided to sign up for the first Shacharit service of the year. It was a bit of an insane move on my part I realize in retrospect. I put an enormous amount of effort into the service practicing non-stop it seemed. But in the end, the service was beautiful. Everything ran smoothly and my nerves didn't get in my way too much. I included a lot of week day nusach plus a few "new" tunes as well. I sang "Yihiu L'ratzon" by Rosenberg after the Amidah and I arranged "Achat Shaalti" for 4 voices. Both were beautiful and I got a really good response from my friends and teachers. It was incredibly exciting. Because the service was between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, there were additions to the Amidah as well which drove me nuts, but I'm ultimately kind of glad that I had to learn them. We set the bar high I think, but I have ever confidence that my classmates will reach the bar and continue to set it higher. My next service is in December and already I can't wait!

So with that I leave you. Gamar chatimah tova!

No comments: